Friday, October 22, 2004

My sister told me when she cleaned my window she couldn't get to all of it. I decided it was good enough when this hawk tried to fly through it.


This bird decided to try to fly through my bedroom window one morning. It scared the shit out of me. I thought someone had hit my window with a baseball or something until I saw the lone feather floating in the air. Freaked out I ran outside to see if the bird was okay. It was unconscious breathing shallow quick breaths. I called Meli, my girlfriend, in panic and she reminded me that my dad is a veternarian. I rushed it to the animal hospital wrapped in a towel, and while waiting for my dad to see me, the bird decided to wake up. Not actually having any strength yet there was little resistance to being put in a cage. Later that day I tried to let it go as it was making the above pose at me from inside it's cage. Meli says "now I know why they call it being watched like a hawk." This is an immature Cooper's Hawk by the way. It couldn't fly that first day, it only tried to hop away, so I caught it, using a long sleeved shirt, leather gloves, and sun glasses so it wouldn't peck my eyes out. It was scarry for its size. It wouldn't drink water from a bowl and wouldn't eat any raw hamburger or chicken (it preys on small birds and rodents). I figured it would probably eat a mouse from the pet store, but it flew away on the second day. It seemed to still be injured, my dad says he thinks the tip of its wing is broken and not the "humerous" or something like that. He always uses medical terms that I don't have storage space for in my mind. It was pretty fun to be that close to a wild predator. Now that I think back I wish I would've marked it with something around a foot in case it flies around my house again. It did mark me however from when I tried to pick it up without glove on. It held on to my finger for just a few second and I was crying like a baby. I put it on a flaming background just for fun. I also rasterbated the picture and hung it above my computer at work. See homokaasu.org for more information on rasterbations etc. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home